We have some mustard lovers in our home. I'm always trying out new mustard recipes just keep them guessing what I'll come up with next. My 14 year old's favorite mustard is the Spicy Brown Mustard. I thought I'd give this recipe a try after I found it on Pinterest.
I found the recipe on this site.
Spicy Wholegrain Mustard
- ¼ C + 2 T yellow mustard seeds
- 2 T black mustard seeds*
- ¾ C apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 C water
- 1½ t sugar
- ½ t turmeric
- Clean, glass jar & lid that can hold 2 cups of liquid. Make sure this is sterilized by putting in the dishwasher OR pouring boiling water in and around it. Let dry before continuing.
*Apparently black mustard seeds are becoming rare. Feel free to use brown mustard seeds, or all yellow, as long as it totals 1/2 cup. You should be able to find mustard seeds with the spices or Indian foods section.
- This makes about 2 cups finished mustard. You can pour it into separate jars when made, but to start you need one big jar!
- Place mustard seeds in jar. Pour the apple cider vinegar and water on top of the seeds.
- Put lid on and shake it up! You want to make sure the seeds are covered with the mix, so give it a shake every now and then.
- Soak for 2 days and the seeds will swell with happiness!
- After 2 days, place seeds and liquid in a food processor and add the sugar and turmeric.
- Blend until desired smoothness.
- Place into desired jar(s), replace lid, and set in fridge. Keep refrigerated. THAT’S IT! YOU’RE DONE!
-It will be pretty spicy after this, and you can let it mellow in the fridge for a day or two. But even after a few weeks it still has bite!