We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Homemade Yellow Mustard

What happens when you run out of mustard in a home where one of your children LOVES mustard and practically eats it with everything?  Well if you're too lazy to run out to the grocery store, you make your own!  This was so ridiculously easy and I happened to have all the ingredients in my house.  My son loves it and claims he will not be sharing it with his brothers!
Homemade Yellow Mustard
(recipe found here)
1 cup ground mustard (regular or hot) - I used regular
1 cup water
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 tsp flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional) - I used just a little more
1 tbsp lemon juice
Combine all ingredients except for the cayenne and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Whisk until smooth and then bring to a boil. Regular mustard powder yields a mild mustard.
Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat to medium and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Taste for spiciness.
Pour the mustard into a food processor. Add as much cayenne as you feel you want (if any), and the lemon juice.
Purée for 2 minutes to mix well and smooth the mustard out somewhat.
If the mustard appears a little grainy don’t worry. Sitting in the refrigerator will help smooth it out a little more. It will also thicken when cooled.
Place in jars and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment