We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Applesauce Cookies

I have an FRG bake sale today. I wanted to take something different but delicious. Yesterday I spent a good part of the morning making homemade applesauce so I went in search of recipes using applesauce and came across this one. I've already made them this morning and they are AWESOME! (I feel very accomplished by the way, it's only 6:43 a.m. here and I've already baked cookies!) As you will be able to see I did not edit the pictures in any way so they are dark and poor quality...that's the reality of point and shoot digital camera!

Applesauce Cookies
(recipe found online here)

This cookies recipe calls for a combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour for a more wholesome cookie but you can use all all-purpose or all whole wheat if you prefer. To make these extra special, spread the tops of them with the brown butter icing recipe provided.
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup applesauce (I used some of my homemade applesauce...it's the little things that make me happy)
  1. Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. Use an ungreased cookie sheet to bake your cookies.
  2. In a medium size bowl whisk the flours, spices, baking soda, and salt until well blended and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
  4. Beat in the egg and applesauce then stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
  5. Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until no indentation remains when touched and light golden brown around the edges, about 10 to 12 minutes.
  6. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer cookies to a wire rack with a spatula.
  7. Ice cookies if desired. (I did not ice cookies today because I am putting the cookies in plastic baggies for the bake sale. Icing + baggie = big mess!)

Recipe source: Betty Crocker's Cookie Book (1985)

Icing for Applesauce Cookies

In a small saucepan heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until the butter turns a light golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 cups confectioners sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk until smooth and desired consistency is achieved. Ice cool applesauce cookies.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for a good apple cookie! Thanks for the recommendation. They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete