We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Easy Pickles


This is a simple recipe for making your own pickles out of pickling cucumbers. I suggest trying out a small recipe to make sure you like the flavors and then increasing the recipe. Our family really enjoys these. If you have ever had Claussen pickles then you will like these pickles.
4 cucumbers -pickling cucumbers really work best (soaking them in ice water for about 2 hours will help them to be crisp)
Brine
3 cups water
1 cup white vinegar
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp pickling salt
Peppercorns - to taste
Red pepper flakes - to taste depending on how much heat you want.
2 garlic cloves (I like to mince mine but you can leave them whole)
2-3 dill sprigs (dry dill weed works too)
Bring the brine to a boil at the same time that you are boiling the jars.
Wash the jars and lids with soap and hot water. Boil the jars for 10 minutes.
Cut the cucumbers in spears and place in the boiled jars. Pour the brine over the top, covering by an inch or so. Add 2 garlic cloves and 2-3 dill sprigs per jar. Put on lids, tighten and boil for another 15 minutes. (The water should still be boiling from the previous step)

No comments:

Post a Comment