We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Monday, August 8, 2011

Zucchini Brownies

We got some great zucchini in our Harvest Box last week and I decided to do some yummy baked goods. School is getting ready to start so it's time to bake up some breads and muffins that I can freeze and the kids can grab and go in the morning. But today I started off with a nice treat of Zucchini Brownies. I love using Zucchini in brownies because it makes them so moist! My kids love these and they add a little bit of veggies (or fruit if that is what your vote that zucchini is!) into their snack!

Zucchini Brownies

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional...I do not enjoy nuts of any type in my baked goods)
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended.

Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.

Fold in the zucchini and walnuts.
(Your batter will not look as thin/runny as regular brownies, but don't worry, they will be fine! The zucchini will bring out the moisture as it bakes!) Spread evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched. To make the frosting, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.

For Chocolate Frosting:
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup margarine
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool. In a medium bowl, blend together the confectioners' sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over cooled brownies before cutting into squares.
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
1 package (8 Oz. Size) Cream Cheese, Softened
2 cups Powdered Sugar,
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Combine butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla just until smooth

1 comment:

  1. Nadine, these sound sooo good. I may have to make these when he comes home for R&R! I wuld have never known zucchini would be good in brownies! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete