We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Banana Bread (Minus Sugar & Oil)


I tried a fabulous new recipe today that I found on Pinterest...are you addicted to Pinterest yet?? I'm always trying to find healthy recipes for my family and this one would fall into that category! Instead of using sugar and oil, it calls for applesauce and honey! This was seriously the moistest banana bread I have ever had and the flavor was amazing! What I loved about making it is that I used my own homemade applesauce that I canned this past fall, I used local honey, and wheat flour that was ground by a friend of mine. That seriously made me happy. As you can see in the picture, the bananas were not as ripe as I usually like them to be but I still used them. They didn't mash as well as overly ripe and soft bananas but I have to say I'm happy they didn't! (Okay I probably could have put more effort in the mashing aspect but I was lazy!) My mashed bananas were kind of lumpy but it made the finished product so much more delectable! Seriously, the little banana chunks were quite delightful!

The recipe comes from this website.


Banana Bread

Ingredients

  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
  • 3/4 cup honey
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 mashed overripe bananas

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce and honey. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

I just love the color of honey so I had to take a pic...

No comments:

Post a Comment