We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Fruit Snacks

Today I attempted another Pinterest find. I can't say that I am completely sold on these. The idea was a good one, but I'm just not sure it is worth the effort or cost. Perhaps if my kids were younger and I fed them fruit chews on a regular basis as a snack I would feel different, but my boys are 15, 14 and 10. We buy fruit chews on occasion but they are no longer a staple in our home. That being said, I know I have friends who do have little ones who may find this recipe useful and I also know lots of my friends repinned this on their own Pinterest boards so I thought I'd post my results.

Homemade Fruit Snacks (original recipe can be found here, with other comments and discussion)
1/3 c. 100% fruit juice
3 pkgs unflavored gelatin
molds
As you can see I was prepped and ready to fill up quite a few molds! (Kristi, I was going to use those cute football molds I borrowed and need to bring back, lol) I TRIPLED this recipe and still didn't fill up one of the jello bean molds. It was about that time that I became discouraged because I used almost 2 1/2 boxes of the Knox gelatin and hadn't filled one tray. Because of that, I did not pay as much attention to detail about how I filled it up. You can see in the picture below that I didn't trim it up any so they aren't as pretty as they could be. My oldest son is the only one who has tasted them so far, he says they aren't bad, he actually likes them. I used the cherry juice and he could taste the flavor. Overall, not a bad idea, just not sure its worth it for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment