We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Sausage Biscuits & Gravy


Sometimes I feel lazy and don't want to go all out for dinner. Nothing is more simple and pleasing than breakfast for dinner! Last night we had Biscuits and Gravy and everyone was happy. A friend asked me if I even made the biscuits with "cut butter" and all. The answer is yes...it's not hard to do though it might sound intimidating.

Here is a simple recipe to use as a base for your gravy. You can really use this cream gravy with anything..mashed potatoes, chicken fried steak, biscuits..whatever makes you happy!

I typically brown up some sausage to sprinkle into the gravy and then I also use the drippings from the sausage as the fat in my gravy.

Cream gravy
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons pan drippings, (sausage drippings work best if you are making sausage biscuits and gravy, if you are making gravy for something else...vegetable oil works well)
2 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk (2% or higher works best to make your gravy creamier)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, we like the extra kick)

1 lb browned crumbled sausage

Salt to taste

Combine fat with flour in a hot skillet, continuously stirring, cook on medium for a couple of minutes until a dark roux is formed.

Add milk slowly to skillet, and mix with roux using a whisk. Turn heat to low and continue stirring until mixture is thickened, this takes about 2 to 3 minutes, make sure you mix out any lumps. Add sausage and then pepper and salt to taste.

Important note! Do not expect your gravy to be beautiful and white. If it's a bit darker that's okay..it will be just as tasty!

Here are a couple recipes for biscuits to use in this recipe...Buttermilk Biscuits or Easy Drop Biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment