We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Southern Cornbread


Last night for dinner we had Taco Soup (it's a favorite in this house). I decided to try a different recipe for our cornbread. I typically make a sweeter cornbread but I wanted to try a more "southern" style. I really enjoyed the way this came out. I had mixed reviews about from the boys. They all liked it but a couple preferred the sweeter bread. All said it went really well with the soup though. Making cornbread from scratch is not any more labor intensive than opening a box of Jiffy mix!

*I pulled this recipe from a food network magazine from a couple years ago. It's a Chef Cat Cora recipe.

Southern Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk (shake before measuring)
  • 2 large eggs
Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and position a rack in the middle. Butter an 8-inch-square baking pan.

Melt the butter in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish in three 15-second intervals on high or in a small pan on the stove. Set it aside to cool.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the eggs. Add the melted butter. Add the flour-cornmeal mixture and stir just until combined. Pour the batter into the pan. Bake until it just begins to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 23 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. This is very close to the cornbread recipe I make. I'm from the south and my mother NEVER put sugar in our cornbread. The only difference in our recipes is the butter. I use vegetable oil.
    My family absolutely loves cornbread. I made taco soup with cornbread last night for supper :)

    ReplyDelete