We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hawaiian Haystacks

I'm not going to lie, I never make Hawaiian Haystacks the same way. The fun thing about Hawaiian Haystacks is that they are fun, yup, just fun. I will bold the main ingredients. The rest you do as you want.

1 chicken (I use whatever chicken I have in my freezer, sometimes I have chicken breasts, whole fryers, chicken thighs, etc.; use what makes you happy)
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tsp. oregano
Salt
1 carrot (chopped, diced, shredded; again, whatever makes you happy, today I cut mine in big chunks)
1 c. broth (make sure you only add a little at a time to make up the consistency you like)
1 large can cream of chicken soup
Rice, cooked (I cheat, I use a rice cooker, I love it!!!!!!)

*Toppings*
Cheese, shredded
Cashews
Chunk pineapple
Chinese noodles
Peanuts
Baby Corn
Olives
Celery
Green/Red/Yellow Peppers
Mandarin Oranges
Coconut
Soy sauce
Boil chicken with garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, and carrot until tender. Debone chicken if you used chicken with bones. Now you decide if you want to shred, dice, chop your chicken, whatever texture you like.
Mix chicken, broth (from boiled chicken (I strain mine) or you can use chicken stock/broth from a can), and soup. Heat thoroughly, I often put mine in a crock-pot on low for an afternoon. But it can be done just as easily on the stove.


On plate layer rice and whatever *toppings* you choose, (this is the fun part!), I added a list of suggested toppings but you can put whatever you like. Enjoy!

And just to show you the fun of this meal, I am posting pics of all our versions of our Haystacks from dinner tonight.

My husband's and mine, he likes everything, I like mine simple

Son 1, Son 2, Son 3 (one day he decided he didn't like the gravy, so now he eats his deconstructed...yup, learned that term on Top Chef)

2 comments:

  1. yummy looks good. My son never liked his food to touch like your son #3 he didn't like gravy or anything that covered his food..he's past that now but still that plate brings back some memories! Nice blog, didn't realize you had a foodie blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I am so glad you started this blog. You really do have good recipes!! In our hawaiian haystacks I use evaporated milk in the sauce too, just one can. I thicken it with 1 tsp cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete