We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Monte Cristo Sandwiches

We pulled this recipe out of our Pampered Chef Casual Cooking cookbook! It's yummy and versatile. You can have it for breakfast or you can serve it for dinner like we did. We paired it with a Spinach and Strawberry Salad and it was a big HIT!

*We doubled the recipe because I have boys who seem to never fill up! The recipe below is the original recipe which makes 4 sandwiches.*

2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
8 slices (1/2 inch thick) Italian bread
8 slices (1/2 oz each) Swiss cheese
6 ounces thinly sliced deli ham or turkey (or both like we did!)
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
Powdered sugar (optional, unless you live in my house)
1/2 cup strawberry preserves

1. In shallow bowl combine eggs and milk, whisk until smooth. Dip one side of 4 bread slices in egg mixture. Place egg side down on a plate or cutting board (a large cutting board works best).

2. For each sandwich, place 1 cheese slice on bread. Top with 1 1/2 ounces ham (or turkey or both) and additional cheese slice. Dip one side of remaining bread slices in egg mixture; top sandwiches, egg side up.

3. Melt butter in a pan or a griddle over medium heat. Cook sandwiches about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. To serve, sprinkle sandwiches with powdered sugar, if desired and serve with strawberry preserves for dipping.

YUM! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment