We love good food in our home. I love to cook and bake for my family. I have shared recipes and pictures of our yummy goodness on different venues. Many have suggested a blog to share the recipes.

*DISCLAIMER* I am not a professional cook, photographer or writer!

I will always try to give credit for recipes. Many I have collected over the years off of TV, various websites, friends and family.

Please leave comments if you try a recipe or share variations of things I post, I always love learning new tricks of the trade.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Treat" (Ranch Treat Mix)

I first had this mix while visiting my mother-in-law for Christmas in 1999. Her roommate Crystal made it for us and we immediately loved it and HAD to have the recipe. Since then, we have made it often. Michael and Neil used to just call it "treat" and so the name has stuck over the years. Daniel quite enjoys it as well. I used to send bags of it with Kevin out to the field and him and his Soldiers would devour it. In case you can't tell, it's a favorite in our home.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.

1 - 12 oz box of Crispix Cereal
1 - 13.7 oz box of Cheez-It crackers
2- 9 oz bags of Oyster crackers
2 - 6.6 oz bags of Pizza flavored Goldfish crackers
1 -16 oz. bottle of Popcorn flavoring oil
1 - pkg Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix (or 2 Tbsp)

*The fun thing about this recipe you can add as much of what you want, if you want more cereal and less crackers. Or you can add pretzels, peanuts, different cereals/crackers, etc,; it's all about what YOU like!*

-Combine all the cereal and crackers in a large bowl. I usually have to use my two big Thatsa Tupperware bowls to combine and mix. You don't want to fill your bowl too full because you will need to be able to mix it up in a minute.

-Mix popcorn oil and ranch dressing mix together in a microwave safe bowl, heat in microwave for 45 seconds.

- Pour popcorn oil over cereal/cracker mixture being sure to coat evenly. I use my hands to toss it all together, it's just easier.

-After combined, spread mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet. Be sure not to crowd, you want a nice toast on all the pieces. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, mixing halfway through. I have fairly large baking sheets and it takes 4 sheets to toast all of the mix baking 2 at a time. (I trade racks after I mix at the halfway point).
Store in an air-tight container and enjoy!

That small snack size container is what I used to give my kids "treat" in, they have since outgrown it, *sigh*.

2 comments:

  1. I could eat this all day. I like that little snack size cup, lol. My kids used to eat like birds. Now they eat everything in site..all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, in fact I ate that little snack bowl and then had to refill it once or three times ;).

    The boys were so happy when they came home.."TREAT!!"

    ReplyDelete